Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Attempting realistic Painting on Yupo Paper
This week I have been attempting more realistic watercolor paintings on Yupo paper after viewing a video by George James using this synthetic paper. I find if difficult to try to layer another color over the previous watercolor even if the paint is dry. With any pressure at all, the underlying paint will lift off. He made it seem easy to do in his video so I will keep trying to glaze paint over paint and maybe I will master the technique eventually. The great advantage of Yupo is being able to totally lift off the paints back to the white of the paper. This painting of Laguna Madre with buildings of Padre Island in the background was a result of lifting and removing a mountain shape behind the water and turning it into a row of buildings.


In the past I have used heavy vinyl to move the watercolor paints into patterns rather than using a brush. I hope that any of you reading this post will comment on your use of Yupo paper and techniques you find successful.

No comments: