Sunday, February 19, 2006

Watercolor controls my destiny as a watercolor artist. You can understand color theory, elements and principles of design and still fail as a watercolor artist unless you understand the fickle nature of water. Water can make you a God-or it can reduce you to tears-depending on how much you know of its nature and its reaction with pigments and paper. I have been painting with watercolor for 15 years and I am still amazed at what those little water molecules can do. A lot of water and a small amount of pigment can blossom into something beyond comprehension. The correct touch with pigment and water is a "happening". The same thing with the wrong pigment and water combination and be a disaster. Judging what combination in what circumstance is critical.

I love riding the edge between right and wrong. Many times I haven't a clue where I want to go, but I am always excited by the prospect of what may happen, good or bad. It kills me when it goes bad but when it works right, it is something to behold! It seems so easy when it works well, just a flick of pigment and you watch things happen that you couldn't have believed possible in your dreams.

If you want to be a watercolor artist, you will have to understand water. You will live and die by the water. The elements and principles of design and color theory will serve you well, but when you are working in WATERcolor--it is the water that rules!!

No comments: